Let's Not Be . . . Too Hard On Each Other

Living gratefully today, I so respect and appreciate the amazing work of the scientists developing effective COVID-19 vaccines and now the production and distribution systems that are working hard to make them available to millions of higher risk people soon. 

Today's post takes the "let's not be too hard on ourselves" beyond our personal spheres. Let's not be too hard on each other. Crises like a global pandemic, racial unrest, and political tensions tend to bring out both the best and the worst in all of us. 

It has been easy to find targets for the judgment and disdain that is an undercurrent in my thoughts and feelings these last months. Easy, but not helpful. For me, it's all about the energy. Practicing gratitude, living gratefully, is so healthy and helpful for me because it generates good energy.

Frustration and self-righteous anger drain energy. There may be times I need to speak up or speak out, but more often I just need to focus on my own attitude and actions. I have no control over someone else. Though to tolerate and listen may help increase my acceptance and understanding of their viewpoint.

So . . . I have a choice. Get wrapped up in the vitriol, or kill it with kindness. If not kindness, maybe at least silence. It has been said that a resentment is like swallowing poison yourself and then waiting for the other person to die. Think about that.

The last two mornings, the "Word for the Day" quotes from www.gratefulness.org have been especially fitting for this idea of not being too hard on one another. I will close with them:

Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not.  (Samuel Johnson)

Times of scarcity need to be met with generosity, times of fear with comfort, times of uncertainty with presence. When we care for those around us, we create a field of love.  (Thomas Hubl)

Comments