Momentum

Today I am grateful for band-aids for a blister on my foot and for our dog Oliver and his presence with me right now.

Momentum is a tricky thing. Sometimes it is sought after and desirable. At other times it is downright discouraging. Momentum for my writing pursuits is picking up in recent weeks as I feed it with time and effort. Even in my mid-fifties, I am energized by the pursuit of goals I have long sought but not yet achieved. It’s not too late and I am determined.

I hope the momentum to bring real change to racial inequalities in this country isn’t slowing down, though there are indications that it is. Changes to our social and economic systems, and the local, state, and national laws and policies that it will take, are not overnight matters. 

What can I do to help advance this worthy cause?  If we each ask ourselves that question and take actions- even small ones- moving forward is possible. I continue to read and listen to better understand the complexities here. And I consider how my life experience and perspectives as a white person are obstacles to change because they feed my complacency. This isn’t someone else’s issue to fix. This is MY issue. This is OUR issue. 

Conversely, the number of COVID-19 cases has recently been gaining momentum at alarming rates in some states. When I read from experts that the worst is yet to come, that this is far from over, it is very discouraging. The pandemic momentum seems unstoppable. Hope wanes. Energy depletes.

Can we reverse this concerning momentum?  We have to believe we can, or at least slow it in the hopes of saving lives and limiting the other tolls it is taking. It’s about actions and information. I tire of masks and physical distancing. My hands are tired of the washing and sanitizing. 

Inconveniences, limits, and disappointments become weighty. But I believe it all makes a difference, and that it is MY responsibility to do these things. It is OUR responsibility. Energy starts to build again, as does hope, when I see that our efforts make a difference, when I sense a unified front against a formidable pandemic. 

Momentum is a tricky thing. A consistent source of the right kind of momentum, good energy for good efforts, is gratefulness. 

Judge less, appreciate more. Expect less, accept more. These can be applied to ourselves and to the wider issues at hand. Good energy for good efforts. 

Comments