Obstinate

Today I am grateful for early morning conversation with my husband Darcy and for anticipation of family time and a break from work.

The word of the day on this "A-Z living gratefully in recovery" list is OBSTINATE. It is defined as:

stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or chosen course of action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so; very difficult to change or overcome. Synonyms include: stubborn, inflexible, bullheaded, self-willed, headstrong, recalcitrant, unmanageable, rigid, unrelenting. 

Alcoholism is an obstinate disease and alcoholics actively using or on a dry drunk are pretty darn obstinate as well. Don't tell me what I should do. I can handle this myself. I'm strong enough. I'm right. I'm wrong. So wrong. 

You get the idea? 

So it is better for me to consider antonyms to obstinate: surrendering, willing, flexible, yielding, cooperative, obedient. These all help me get myself out of the way. They help me stop the mind swirl that only leads to dark places. Obstinate in my disease or obedient in my recovery practices?


Today I choose recovery. 

I will be taking a blog break until mid-week next week. Happy Holidays and safe travels to all!
Pause and enjoy moments and people you are spending them with.

Comments