Never

Today I am grateful for my son Sam and the person he is. I am also grateful for the energy of middle school students nearing a holiday and a break, and that I can meet that energy with my own.

"Never" is one of those absolutes that need to be used carefully. Never say never. If newly sober drunks heard “NEVER drink again” as the key message of recovery, many would probably never give recovery a fair shot. Never drink again?  That doesn't seem feasible in early sobriety, when drinking has been a go-to escape and survival method for too long.

Don't take a drink today? That may be possible. Just for today. And with help and support, ways to get an alcoholic or addict out of their most dangerous place--their own minds.

A "never" I am comfortable using is "never stop working on recovery." Alcoholism is a patient and subtle foe. Daily work for a daily disease.

Don't take a drink today. Do some work in recovery. Let go. Accept. Feel emotions. Reach out to others. Pick up the phone instead of a drink. Pray.

These can help us get through a 24-hour period. And that's the only timeline we need to focus on.
I hope I NEVER forget the importance of the simple "One day at a time."

Comments