A is for Acceptance

Today I am grateful for the HIIT routine my niece Katie provided me years ago. I bring it out in the winter months. I am also grateful that my body is able to complete the exercises, though a little rusty to start out with.

A is for Acceptance. Acceptance that I have a disease, not a weak will. That is where it starts. The disease itself wants me to fight and deny the disease idea and blame myself for just being a weak fool. I did that for years. As far as the disease was concerned, it worked. I kept drinking, kept going back to it each time I quit.

It took many types of trial and error, many close calls, hard knocks, and more to help me become open to the idea that I have a disease and I need help. It took significant pain, self-hatred, the depths of despair. Other people also played key roles in getting me to seek help. Deep gratitude to these integral people--people with names like Sheila, Deb, Sarah, Leonice.

A is for acceptance. That is where it starts. And never really finishes. There is hardly anything I need more on a daily basis than acceptance, and still I too often fail to apply it. Acceptance of alcoholism and no more drinking. Acceptance of life on life's terms. Acceptance that all I control are two more A words--my own attitude and actions. If I focus on these two and keep them forward-moving at a sane pace, I do pretty well.

Acceptance can be found in a moment, in a brief pause, in letting go. That is where gratefulness also resides. The two go hand in hand to help me through each day.

Comments