Strength Training

Today I am grateful for the plush plants of early summer and the variety of greens and other colors in them. I am also grateful for the strength training exercises I am able to do.

Over the years, I have tried to incorporate strength exercises in my regimen 2-3 times a week. I appreciate the simplicity and effectiveness, as well as little need for special equipment, with the exercises I typically do.

Sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts, mountain climbers, planks, squat jumps, and a couple exercises with the 7.5 and 10 pound weights we have-that's my current routine. Sometimes I do two sets of each, sometimes one. They make a difference in how I feel and they help this aging runner's body in many ways. I am on a good roll now and find it easy to motivate myself to do them.

Gratitude practice is strength training too. It may primarily be a mental health activity, but like my physical exercises, it provides me emotional and spiritual health as well.

It is good to know which exercises can make us stronger-whether that means our runner's knees and core strength, or our outlook on life.

Comments