Celebrate Differences

Today I am grateful that our grandson Leo is feeling better and that we were able to spend some time with him last night. I am also grateful for fruitful recovery conversations with fellow alcoholics.

Audre Lorde had profound things to say about more than one topic. She was a poet, author, and activist in many ways. Here is what she says about differences:

"It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and 
celebrate those differences."

Fear seems to be involved with these inabilities. We often fear what we don't understand. That fear can make us intolerant and close our minds. Reduce fear and open minds and doors by giving others a chance, hearing them out, or at least not speaking ill of them.

We have much to learn from each other and we often learn more from our differences than our similarities. Let's make efforts to appreciate those who push us beyond our comfort zone.

I appreciate the writing of Audre Lorde particularly in my own personal breast cancer experiences. 
Her book The Cancer Journals sparked something in me at a time when I needed an outlet. I mention that in this post from October of 2013.

More on the words of Audre Lorde tomorrow. 

Comments