A True Scavenger

Today I am grateful for the lessons in patience and persistence that continue to come my way. I am also grateful for humbling reminders of my small place in a large world.

Yesterday morning it was a bee on our front porch. Yesterday afternoon it was this on the
roof of our garage:


This is a turkey vulture, in the neighborhood to feed on carrion-in this case a dead squirrel. I am sure I miss the coming and going of plenty of creatures in or near our yard, but this bird was hard to miss, especially perched where it was.

It is not a pretty songbird, but it serves an important purpose. I read a little about it and learned it is called different names in different parts of the country and world. Also, we would only expect to see it here in the summer, it has few if any predators, and in the U.S. it is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

Turkey vultures also have keen eyesight and sense of smell. We are looking for different things, but this vulture will find more food and I will find more to appreciate with eyes open and senses engaged.

Comments