Speaking of TMI

Today I am grateful for the physical ability to shovel snow and for the mental ability to practice gratitude.

Speaking of TMI, I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I turned 50 in July and it has been on my to-do list since. It's a recommended screening procedure I wasn't necessarily looking forward to, but was certainly willing to follow-through on because it is effective and telling.  I am happy to report the prep was manageable and the test results were normal. I appreciate all those who helped with this less-than-glamorous procedure. I very much appreciate the good results. It's a relief and an empowering bit of self-care.

As I sat in the waiting area, my procedure behind schedule, I did some reading. A couple patients came and went. One was clearly a pregnant woman and the man with her, probably going for an ultrasound. Exciting territory. There was a woman sitting there when I first arrived. She had on a chemo cap and was drinking contrast-a clear indication she was going in for a scan. Scary territory for people with cancer.

It was just the two of us in the waiting area after awhile, and I debated whether or not to strike up a conversation. I often keep to myself, or at least don't initiate conversations, in clinic and hospital waiting rooms. I felt compelled to talk to this woman though. I am grateful I did, as she seemed to appreciate our exchange as much as I did. Sadly, she has Stage IV cancer and has had some tough times in recent years.

She didn't share too much information, and some of what she did I won't share here, but it was heartening to hear about her supportive family, her realistic approach to a dire diagnosis, and her love of the Minnesota Vikings. She was called in for her procedure and we wished each other a good day and a "Go Vikings!"

A good day. Just for today. An hour at a time. A moment at a time. That is the best we can hope for.

Comments

  1. Good self-care with the colonoscopy. Glad you listened to "nudge" to talk to woman in waiting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to feel and hear those nudges better when I am quiet, when my mind isn't swirling. I will seek more of that kind of quiet. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment