Connections

Today I am grateful for safe travels to and from Colorado and for my travel companions-my sisters Zita and Ruth.

We went to Colorado to spend time with our sister Danita, whose husband Roger died on November 1. We also got to connect with our sisters Ann and Mary Jo, our brother-in-law Clay, as well as our nephew, nieces, and their families. It was important to connect in person. It was important to be with Danita and be able to talk about Roger's last days, but also his earlier days and his lasting imprint on those closest to him.

Below is a picture of the six sisters who were together earlier this week:



Connections come in so many ways. Danita connects with Roger by taking banjo lessons. We connected with Roger by walking in one of their favorite parks. We honored Roger's memory with a game of "zilch."

And then there are the broader connections. My sisters and I were browsing in one of the many fun shops in Old Town Fort Collins on Tuesday. A young woman, clearly mentally challenged, liked the bright color of my shirt (see photo above) as I walked by her. She reached out and rubbed my sleeve, a smile on her face. I smiled back and said "how are you today?" The adult with her gently admonished her, but I felt no discomfort. I said "have a nice day." Her smile was so sincere and sweet. It was a quick connection with a fellow human.

Today I will connect with my fellow humans and with a higher source of energy.

Comments