Disillusioned by . . . Dedicated to . . .

Today I am grateful for my son Sam's levelheaded perspective, and for my husband Darcy's sense of humor in dealing with his uptight wife at times.

Year's end is often a time many of us look back on the last year. Reflecting on 2015 leaves me feeling disillusioned by many things:

*people I know dying (I think especially of my brother-in-law Roger who died young-at age 64-after a horrible illness diminished him over years.  My Aunt Marie died in her nineties, a full life behind her.)
*mixed emotions, and a wide range of them, about a job I have been at for over 15 years
*health issues for many I care about, of the physical and mental varieties
*my mom's failing health
*how cunning addiction is and how it tries to pull people I know and care about back in to the disease
*the speed at which days, weeks, months, and now an entire year have gone by
*the letting go of goals/dreams because there simply wasn't time or energy to pursue them

Yes, there are things about 2015 that leave me feeling disillusioned, disenchanted, discouraged, and disappointed. Add to that a knee injury this week for my son Sam. It could be a meniscus tear and it could require surgery. We'll take it a step at a time. I appreciate the perspective he is able to keep, at 13, about it all. He sets a good example for me.

Don't worry about me. A little disillusionment will come and go. What matters more is what I am consistently dedicated to. These are the things that nourish my soul, heart, mind, and body.  Things like:

*regular exercise
*my marriage
*being a parent, stepparent and now grandma
*daily work in recovery from alcoholism
*daily gratitude practice
*regular writing
*improving my practice of mindfulness and presence
*grabbing back my goals and dreams and giving them time when I can (These are mostly surrounding writing pursuits and I will definitely write on!)

The year just passed brought much joy and many challenges. It takes both to make a life of growth and satisfaction.  Onward!

I will be taking a blog break until early next week. Happy New Year! Be safe and be grateful.

Comments