Presence as Present: Revised

Today I am grateful for time with my friend Dorothy yesterday and for a walk through a labyrinth looking for and finding some faith.

At my great-nephew Arthur's baptism on Sunday, the priest gave a sermon I really appreciated. It could be summed up as "make your presence a present."  Don't get too caught up in what should be done and forget what really matters. Pay attention to who and what are right in front of you, right at this moment.

It reminds me of a quote by Sue Atchley Ebaugh:

"The greatest gift we can give one another is rapt attention to one another's existence."

I also write about this quote in this post from August of 2012.

Rapt attention. It doesn't cost a dime, but it pays handsomely in strengthened connections and healthier relationships.

Rapt attention. A true gift. Less wrapped, more rapt.

Comments