Gratitudology

Today I am grateful for the way our dog Oliver stretches when he gets up. He reminds me to be flexible. I am also grateful for a little snuggle time with my son Sam this morning. Such times are fewer as he gets older, but still very much cherished.

Hats off to my sister Danita for adding to our gratitude vocabulary. She has given us the term gratitudology.  It is defined as the study of gratitude. Danita also provided the inspiration for this blog's title "Habitual Gratitude." And both Danita and my sister Aileen provide regular email support and wisdom that I truly appreciate. Thanks to you both!

Gratitudology joins our list that already includes gratitudeness, gratituding, gratitudinal adjustment, gratitunity, and gratituderty. Read about how this vocabulary list started and grew here.

I am a student of gratitude, and a willing one at that. Another posthumous thank you to my friend Terrie who gave me my first gratitude journal and encouraged me to start writing about gratitude. I began that practice eighteen years ago. One of the most significant lessons that I learned as I started practicing gratitude regularly was this: I can't be grateful and feel sorry for myself at the same time.Where will I put my energy? I had been full of self-pity and selfish thinking for a long time. Exacerbated by alcoholic drinking, it all led to self-hatred.

Gratitude has slowly cleared my vision and given me a perspective that is much healthier, emotions that are much more positive, energy that goes to productive pursuits. In other words, gratitude practice has changed my life. In amazing and subtle ways. Experience is the best teacher and I am firmly convinced that actively being grateful is a huge boon to my physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness.

As I have evolved, so has my study of gratitude. There is always more to learn, always more growth and improvement possible. Like my study of faith and recovery from alcoholism, my research in the area of gratitude is ongoing. Sure, some days I am a bit of a reluctant student. But on most days, I simply remember this "It works!"

Fellow students, what has gratitude practice taught you?

Comments