Life's Orientations

Today I am grateful for my son Sam's involvement in 4-H and what he learns and gains from that experience.

I am also grateful for the loud young people who walked past our house at about 4:30 this morning. Grateful because one of them was talking about blackout drinking. I appreciated the reminder that I sure don't miss the torture of blackouts.

The word orientation is on my mind because my stepchildren both just had orientations. Emily got signed up for classes at her post-secondary institution and is now set for classes to start in August.Arthur and his fiance Alyssa both got their first look at their new community of residence for the next couple of years and he attended orientation for his graduate school program.

I am excited for them, excited for the fresh starts they will have, excited for the learning and growing that await them, in the classroom and beyond.

To orient means to become acquainted with the existing environment or situation. To me, it means figuring out where I am and what I should/can/need to do next. Little orientations happen on a daily basis in my relationships, in my writing, at work and at home.

Gratitude is my compass to keep me heading in the right direction. It lights the way, making it easier to see the path ahead. How's that for staying oriented?

Comments