Good Morning

Today I am grateful for my hands and feet, fingers and toes, and all that they make it possible for me to do in a day. I appreciate the muscles, joints, and bones that help me move freely.

Good morning. I have said that thousands and thousands of times, especially at work as I walk the halls of school before the day starts. Greeting students and my colleagues with a hello and a smile. I missed that this spring when we went to online learning. I wonder what the fall and the start of the school year will bring. I say it to my husband, son, and dog most mornings too. 

Good morning Lisa. How often do I greet myself warmly to start the day?  More than I used to, but I still need prompts and practice. Prayer and meditation present opportunities to practice and feel the benefits of this simple gesture. A good teacher has been Dr. Shauna Shapiro and her Ted Talk The Power of Mindfulness: What You Practice Grows Stronger.  I summarize it in this post from May, 2017.

I sometimes put my hand on my heart and let the warmth of my hand and my body blend together. I feel my chest rise and fall. Science tells us that this touch releases oxytocin, a hormone that promotes feelings of connection, closeness, love, and well-being. Mere seconds soften the hard edges of self-judgment and bring me closer to truly being.  

Good morning. I love you Lisa. It starts here. 


Comments