Yawn

Today I am grateful that yesterday I got to do something I hadn't yet. I am also grateful for the simple pleasure of a meal someone else made, shared in the company of pleasant people.

What I got to do yesterday that I hadn't done yet was see the inside of the chapel at the Benedictine monastery near the school I work at. What a beautiful and calming space. What a spiritually inspiring design. I hope to spend some more time there.

It was a busy week, leaving me exhausted. That brings to mind a fitting second "y" word-YAWN. We all know that yawning is an indication of being tired or bored. But interestingly enough, we don't know all that much about why we yawn. I did a little reading on it and was surprised by how mysterious some aspects of yawning are. One more recent idea is that yawning helps cool the brain. Or is yawning more about social interaction and is that why a yawn from one person will often trigger a yawn in another?

Animals yawn too. I don't think I had ever really thought about that until we got our dog Oliver. He will stretch and yawn with a natural ease when he needs to. I bet he's not thinking that he's had a busy day and should rest some more.

I just yawned between these last two lines. A natural yawn that just came. I got a good night's sleep last night, but I could definitely do better when it comes to the amount of sleep I get. I can operate pretty effectively on seven hours a night, but eight would be better for me. And some nights it is more like 6 hours because I will wake up early, my brain becomes engaged in the day ahead, and it tells my body to get up and start doing stuff.

I sometimes run into yawning issues in the early afternoon if I have had too many sweets and if I slow down and sit for a time. I sometimes have to fight off the drowsiness. What I find to be good at preventing this drowsiness, which makes me less productive, is to keep myself hydrated and to not eat too much mid-day. On a day when I am able to though, I will enjoy the treat of an afternoon nap.

I will say that I rarely yawn from boredom. I am always pretty engaged in what I am doing, or I am sleeping. I don't sit around wondering what to do next. I don't often get tired of listening to others whether it be in a casual or work setting. I am an observer of life. Gratefulness and mindfulness keep a steady stream of observations in front of me. When one finds life fascinating and full of blessings, boredom is not an issue.

Comments