Scanty

Today I am grateful for my ability to walk, to put one foot in front of the other both literally and figuratively. I am also grateful for those who leave comments on my blog.

The word SCANTY caught my eye in this quote:

"A really thankful heart will extract motive for gratitude from everything, making the most 
even of scanty blessings." (J.R. MacDuff)

Scanty. Very small in size or amount. Meager. Skimpy. Sparse. Stingy.

Scanty is the opposite of words like abundant, bountiful, generous, plentiful.  But why is it that when I can see the scanty blessings, I live in abundance?

Because to notice the small things, the overlooked and taken for granted things, means that I have slowed down enough to actually live my life in the moment. And that is where the joy is. There is nothing scanty about a moment lived mindfully.

The moments and the little "joylets", as my sister Aileen has dubbed them, add up and my life has generous amounts of positive emotions and plentiful energy with which to proceed.

Comments