Great! Full

Today I am grateful for my hair stylist Lori and the good job she does with my haircuts as well as the pleasant conversations we have. I am also grateful for the humor and wisdom of Mark Scharenbroich.

Mark was a speaker at my school's workshops yesterday and Lori cut my hair last evening. I got good doses of gratitude from both of them. Lori shared some recent gratitude clarity she had. I heard Mark many years ago when I was teaching in Iowa, but it was a treat to hear him again. I look forward to reading his book Nice Bike. Learn more about Mark at www.NiceBike.com

One of Mark's stories was particularly resonant with me. It is Mark's story and he tells it much better than I ever could, but I can give you the punch line so to speak.

As he addressed a room full of educators, Mark talked about the teachers who had left significant impacts on him. One teacher would always say "Great!" when someone asked how he was doing or how his day was going. Mark wasn't sold on the idea as a teen, but after a certain conversation with this teacher, he picked up the same habit when someone asked him how he is doing.

To this day, he continues to say "Great!"  But here's the part I really love. Mark told us that after he says "Great" out loud, he says "Full" in his own head. Great-full. Grateful.

Bingo. Even when you may not be feeling great or having the best of days, you can always find gratitude if your heart is open. I believe that and I live it.

I try to maintain a positive attitude and I think those who know me would describe me as usually pretty upbeat. We all have our challenges, difficult times, frustrations. Saying "Great!" when you don't exactly feel great or practicing gratitude when you don't exactly feel grateful are not negating the challenges, difficulties, and struggles. To me, they are creating the energy that will allow me to work through the tougher stuff. And then I will feel great-full, a deeper level of gratitude than before.

Gratitude makes all the difference in my life and in each day. Thanks again Lori and Mark!

Comments