By Name

Today I am grateful for gentle rain and umbrellas. 

On the trails of our community on my run yesterday morning, two people greeted me by name. I reciprocated with one, and the other was on her bike and out of range quickly. It struck me, the community connections we make. One is a neighbor, one we know through our church. 

I was thinking about getting to know students by name at school. I take pride in getting to know new student names each year. This year there are added challenges... limited face recognition with masks on. Quiet and uncluttered hallways to limit congregating of students. Key factors and times when I usually interact informally with students, getting to know them and their names.

It will take longer this year, and add to this my menopausal memory issues compounded by “pandemic mush brain” and I will do my best. 

I will do my best. A day at a time. And as I work to get names down, I remember the value in a simple, cheerful greeting. 

Whatever lies ahead today, I will do my best to contribute, not contaminate. 




Comments