Starting Lines and Finishing Lines

Today I am grateful for my morning coffee, and for excitement and anticipation for some upcoming events.

Starting lines and finishing lines are on my mind today. I am thinking about track and field meets and the start and finish lines that are the source of much energy and excitement. Our niece and nephew will be running at the Iowa State Track and Field Meet at the storied Drake Stadium in Des Moines over this weekend.  Wishing them and their teammates the best of luck and a wonderful experience.

Then there are the numerous marathons, half-marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks and other road races I have started and finished. Joining 40,000 at the start of the Chicago Marathon was amazing, as was crossing that first marathon finish line. Running has meant so much to me for 40 years. It is a deep source of blessings and one of the best ways I live gratefully. Onward, a stride at a time!

There are other start and finish lines, more figurative in ways. It is nearly ten years ago that I hit the starting line of my cancer diagnosis. I am thinking about my sister Mary Jo and the starting line of her treatment for metastatic breast cancer. There are signs of improvement and she feels well enough to travel, but there are so many unknowns about the length of this journey, of how quickly the finish line may come. Today is a gift. Onward!

Then there is the finish line of the school year, my 30th in the field of education. I am used to the ebbs and flows of a school year, but they each are unique too. This year has been a grueling one in many ways, but also rich in gratitude for many people and much work done. Onward!

And my nephew Brennan's high school graduation, a big finish line with an even bigger starting line around the corner. Onward into your future!

I will be taking a blog break for a few days. Enjoy the spring beauty and weather this May weekend.
Onward, a moment at a time!

Comments