Pray Avenue

Today I am grateful for time, taken in small increments. I am also grateful for the regular emails I share with my sisters Danita and Aileen, and for signs of all kinds.

Somewhere between Owen and Abbotsford, Wisconsin, on Highway 29, there is a sign for a road called Pray Ave. I have seen it on previous trips. This time I am moved to write about it.

I appreciate that Darcy and Sam did the driving this weekend, so I could write and get back to some projects that have been set aside for months. And so I could notice and ponder signs like the one for Pray Ave.

My idea of what prayer is and how to engage in it continue to evolve. I have come a long way from the praying of my Catholic upbringing, and I have also returned to it. Prayer to me isn't about a location as much as it is about a mindset.

It isn't as much about my physical stance as it is about where my heart is. The words matter, but not as much as the sincerity and humility in them do.

My own Pray Avenue is a daily trip. I start my day with a few set prayers, added to over the years, and now totaling seven, focusing on recovery, health, an unselfish and compassionate approach.  Some days, I take an intentional pause and return to a brief prayer to help slow me down. Or to stop mind swirl. And to send positive thoughts out to others facing a particular challenge in this 24-hour stretch.

Pray Avenue can take me to more peace of mind. It can help me detour around the obstacles of fear and selfishness. It helps me better find my way through the day.

What is your Pray Avenue like?


Comments

  1. My Pray Avenue is 1. knowing that I can call on God any time 2. Reaching out when the moment is there, asking, pleading and thanking. Being grateful. 3. I know that every good thing that I have is because of God. I need always to keep that in mind, and once again be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God and gratitude bring grace. To me, gratitude shared is a form of prayer. It finds the good, the answer to our pleas. Thanks Lana!

      Delete

Post a Comment