Met UP

Today I am grateful for coffee and quiet. I am also grateful for laughter among recovering friends.

Today is the 7th Annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Borrowing and revising some of my words from last year's post on MBC Awareness Day:

I am deeply grateful to be over seven years out from my breast cancer diagnosis and have NED (no evidence of disease). I don't live in fear, but I also try not to live in denial. Cancer is wily and mysterious. It can come back in anyone at anytime. Today I am thinking of those who are living with what remains my biggest fear: late-stage metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Cancer that remains in the breast is not deadly. Breast cancer that spreads, or metastasizes, to other parts of the body is incurable and is what takes nearly 40,000 lives a year in this country.

Some are diagnosed with MBC at the time of their initial diagnosis. Others have NED for years after their initial diagnosis when MBC comes roaring into their lives.It is a valid fear for people like me; 30% of those of us initially diagnosed with early stage breast cancer will develop metastatic disease.

Hence the precious nature of today, the reasons to view it as the gift it is. Keep priorities straight. Put our time where it matters most.

Today is the 7th annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. In the midst of all things pink during the month of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it is important to put aside the fluff and fanfare and zero in on those who need our help, support, and research dollars the most-those with MBC.


One of my favorite bloggers on the topic of BC and the right kind of awareness is Nancy Stordahl at
"Nancy's Point"   It is from her recent post that I learned about a new organization working for the MBC cause: METUP MBC Exchange To Unleash Power.  Find more information at http://metup.org.

METUP has an important event today-a Die-in in Washington D.C.  I commend those with the courage to not only live with MBC but to be an advocate for such important efforts.

Life is precious. Life is fragile. Today is a gift. Live it well.

And on that note, I begin a blog break. I will be back next week with marathon trip stories to share.
Have a good day!

Comments

Post a Comment