Random Indications

Living gratefully today, I rest in appreciation of daily recovery from alcoholism, the peace in family time together, and the endorphins a nice run in the rain brought me yesterday.

I give thanks for random indications that every day is full of reminders and of good. Here are some:

1. A bathroom break while out doing some grocery and stock up shopping gave me the view of an empty vodka pint in the trash can in the stall I used. I wondered what story went with that bottle. My story had I been the one drinking it? Ugly. 

2. A toddler in her boots zig-zagging down the trail in front of her mom on what started out as an icy morning, then March balmy, and returned to ice and snow overnight. That little girl was having a joyful outing. Simple joy. 

3. I ran in a misty fog in my nice weatherproof jacket we got on Bainbridge Island, Washington in 2013 when we were there for the Seattle Marathon. It was a bit of a splurge and in part preparation for a predicted rainy start to the marathon. It has sides that zip down to serve as vents. It was perfect for this run. I have no shortage of jackets, shoes, hats, gloves--whatever clothes the season calls for. 

4. I had my hood up in the light rain. I thought about hoods on young black people and what that has led to. I thought about my school's policy of no hoods up, mainly to prevent students from covering the air pods they aren't supposed to have in their ears. 

And I considered my own story when it comes to hoods. I grew to like them in my bald-headed chemo days in late 2008. Feeling warm and secure in a difficult time. Every hood has a story. Every person has stories.

5. It's been a busy stretch. I got a little off track with connecting to my Higher Power. I also use the term Great Spirit because it reminds me that this source is all around, and always readily evident in the natural world. I took these two photos when I arrived at school for an event yesterday morning. Ice hanging from branches and reflecting in the light. It was necessary to watch our step in the slippery parking lot. It was also necessary for me to pause and breathe in this amazing ice show for a moment or two.


There's a reason why a picture can't fully capture some of this view. We are meant to pause for a moment of presence and take it in in real time. 


Comments