Garbage and Recycling

Word for the Day 

There is not a particle of life which does not bear poetry within it.

-Gustave Flaubert-

Thursdays are garbage and recycling pickup days in our neighborhood. As I left my house yesterday morning and backed my car out of the garage, the garbage and recycling trucks came one after the other to unload our two receptacles. 

I was blocked in briefly, on my way to an early meeting, with a little time to spare. It all probably took less than a minute. It was a good pause and brought a smile to my face. In my meditation time earlier, inspired by a conversation with and suggestion from a recovery friend,  I had realized I was getting stuck yet again. I had been crowding my Higher Power out.

In other words, I hadn't been taking out my inner garbage. I had been recycling the kind of thinking that is defeating and exhausting. In recovery circles we call this stinking thinking. It was indeed getting smelly. I had no use for it anymore, like the household garbage we had put curbside. 

I am a slow learner. The Universe had to put two sizable trucks in my way to get my attention. Better to be impeded by the trucks than my own thoughts. And that's my take on poetry in the particles of life today. Onward!

Comments