Okoboji Fountains

Today I am grateful for the kindness of others, for gratefulness shared among fellow humans, and for in-person conversation with my friend Betsy. I don't get to see her often and really appreciated our time together last evening.

On our travels last week we went through a place near and dear to my heart. The Spirit Lake-Okoboji-Spencer area of northwest Iowa was my home from 1992-1998. It is where my recovery was truly launched, even though I arrived there three years sober.

A raging workaholic and dry drunk at the time, I knew some things needed to change or I would drink again. I embraced recovery and got connected to others on the same path. It made all the difference then and continues to make all the difference now.

I also made good friends in the school and community where I taught. I started graduate school while there. I met my husband Darcy in Okoboji. It is one of those places that holds far more pleasant memories than difficult ones for me on this life's journey.

So I drew some more of that positive energy as we made our way through those special miles, and my heart was warmed to run into an old recovery friend. And then I saw this saying on a sign as we drove:

"Be a fountain, not a drain." 

I have certainly been plenty of both, to myself and to those around me. I aspire to be a fountain more, and living gratefully helps me in that pursuit. My heart hurts today, but it is also warmed by many things and many people. 

Comments