Bold

Today I am grateful for time on our patio this morning and for productive time at work yesterday.

From temporary apathy to bold affirmation. Daring. Brave. Courageous. Valiant. Confident. Willing to take risks. But this isn't a big and bold, it's a little boldness.

It starts with the bold move of looking at myself in the mirror and being able to make eye contact.

Then I get a little bolder and I hold eye contact while adding "You're okay."

A little bolder still and I am able to look myself straight in the eyes and say "I love you" and mean it.

A little boldness has gone a long way, has brought me a long way.

It beats the boldness, only temporary, that alcohol would give me.

It puts in its place the misplaced boldness of the alcoholism that held me in its grip and wanted me to keep saying "You dumb, ugly bitch."

Big and bold isn't my style. I leave that for the extroverts. Still, a healthy, mild version of being bold has served me well in recent decades. It  helped me start my first gratitude journal, in spite of my own reservations. It has helped me commit to my first marathon and start my first blog. That was 14 marathons and 1600 blog posts ago.

How has being bold served you well in your life? How has it helped you grow?

Comments