The Journey of a Thousand Posts

Today I am grateful for daily recovery and living. I am also grateful for this blog as I hit the milestone of 1000 posts.

The journey of a thousand blog posts begins with one post. That was just over three years ago. I am amazed that I have reached this blogging milestone feeling the way I feel and so very grateful to be learning what I am learning. I have no intention of slowing down.

I am learning that the layers of mindfulness and gratitude are truly endless. I will never perfect this practice and that is the point-to simply continue to practice.

A quote I really appreciate is this one, attributed to James C. Penney:

"Only the disciplined are free." 

Discipline. That is what it takes to compose and publish blog pieces about gratefulness and practicing it in my daily life. To be habitual about this, or anything healthy and sacred, takes discipline. The freedom has especially come in via the energy this practice and the writing involved create. And also the freedom I feel as a writer who believes in her writing more than ever before. 

This idea of discipline and freedom is not new. Pythagoras spoke of it 2500 years ago with his words: 
"No man is free who cannot command himself."  

Being a person in recovery from alcoholism, these words carry wider appeal for me. There is freedom in recovery opposite the bondage that came with active drinking. I don't believe I command myself, however. I have help from others and a Higher Power. I do the footwork.

My friend Terrie did me a huge favor over twenty years ago when she encouraged me to try being more grateful for what I do have to help offset the mire of self-pity that I was fond of wallowing in. There was always an excuse to drink, always an excuse to berate myself and my life, when the lens I was looking through was cloudy with perfectionism, self-hatred, and negativity.

A thousand posts have brought me clarity. I am deeply blessed and today is a gift. A thousand posts have given me a daily outlet that has liberated the writer within. The writing and the gratefulness have fortified me in so many ways. A post at a time. A day at a time. Thank you to all who inspire me to keep on keeping on!

Comments

  1. Congratulations Lisa. I haven't been with you since day 1 but almost.

    Regarding discipline - we will all be disciplined in our lives... it either will come from within or it will be applied from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your loyal reading Steve! I find the discipline from within more palatable, but either way discipline is work. I enjoy this work. In gratitude.

      Delete

Post a Comment