Caterpillars and Butterflies

Today I am grateful for the transforming that has and continues to take place in my life. I am also grateful for time with our grandson and for my stepdaughter's perseverance.

The "Word for the Day" on www.gratefulness.org last Thursday was:

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
Margaret Fuller

What came to my mind as I let it brew on this quote over the last few days were words like transformation, evolving, metamorphosis. I love words and their intricacies. 

Transformation means a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance. Evolving means developing slowly, especially from simple to more complex. Metamorphosis means changing into a completely different form or person. All of those definitions fit the caterpillar/butterfly scenario.

Applied to my own life, two of those three words apply better than the third. Recovery from alcoholism and gratitude practice have helped me thoroughly transform into a heathier and more self-assured person. These efforts, the life I lead, my faith and spirituality, and the people I am around regularly all help me to continue to evolve. Sometimes I need to be reminded of patience and that this evolving can be a slow process. But because of the progress I have made, I am more accepting of how the growth comes incrementally, sometimes very small increments, sometimes bigger ones. But it comes. 

Metamorphosis is the word I would throw out of the mix. I don't believe I am a completely different person than I was. I believe I have always been the person I am today. I was just lost behind some layers of messy stuff that needed to be cleared out. This butterfly just took a lot longer to emerge.

This saying also helps me feel some compassion and patience for others. I was in caterpillar mode for a long time. I am guessing I am not alone in that. Let's give each other time and support in our transforming and evolving. Let's not be the one who contributes to keeping the caterpillar in the cocoon longer.

Comments

  1. Here, here Lisa. I zeroed in on "perseverance" -put one foot in front of the other. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson about perseverance: "Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Up again! Nice to hear from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment