Muffled

Today I am grateful for shirt-sleeve warmth on a spring day and for another walk and talk opportunity yesterday, this time with my friend Betsy.

Betsy and I have known each other for nearly 15 years and we have some common ground both professionally (we are both educators) and personally. On a pleasant spring day, we enjoyed the walk and the ease of conversation between two people who have mutual trust and respect. Thanks Betsy!

Turning my attention to the title of today's post, let me tell you where "muffled" started. In recent months I have woken up with a plugged ear from time to time. It usually popped shortly after I got up, and I didn't think too much of it. In recent weeks, it seemed to get worse, happening more often and lasting longer. I even had a couple days where my hearing was muffled for hours, for a good portion of the day. That was challenging and unnerving, and I decided I needed to look into what might be going on.

The likely problem was ear wax buildup. My sister Ruth suggested that I try Debrox Earwax Removal Aid. Thanks for the suggestion Ruth! It seems to have done the trick.

But those mornings of muffled hearing, those couple of days when it lasted well into the day, were good teachers for me. I have my hearing and my health. They are deep blessings and I want to appreciate them. As is often the case, we begin to take things for granted over time. Gratitude practice helps me not fall into that trap. Muffled hearing served as a good reminder too.

Pondering muffled also had me pondering how I muffle the little joys of each day by getting too busy, too caught up in things, forgetting to pause. What obstructs the peace and treasures within the day? What mutes the true gifts that surround me?  I do when I get ahead of myself or when I continue to relive a regret, a mistake, a what-if.

Muffled gratitude is better than no gratitude, but I prefer the full effect. Today I will seek clarity in the moments of opportunity that present themselves.


Comments