Moments of Clarity

Today I am grateful for recovery friends-old and new. I am also grateful for the reminder that I can't feel sorry for myself and be grateful at the same time. I do much better if I choose the gratitude.

I had a small "moment of clarity" on Saturday. I appreciate when those moments happen and what I take away from them. One such moment that is etched in my mind happened nearly 20 years ago. I was having a particularly rough day, mostly work-related, when I got home, stepped into my apartment and had the Serenity Prayer pop into my head on its own. I still recall the feeling and the impact-I felt like I was finally getting somewhere in my faith quest, like I was finally getting out of myself enough to seek help. That was a moment of clarity I will never forget.

The one on Saturday was less significant, but still worth noting. I have two jewelry boxes. One bigger one I use more, one smaller one that was full to overflowing but rarely used. . . broken things I didn't want to part with, one earring of a pair, those extra buttons you get with new clothes. I have already mentioned that I am a keeper, a saver. You never know when you'll need that button right? I needed more space for my growing earring collection. It occurred to me that most of the stuff in that second jewelry box could be put in a small bag and put in a drawer, making way for more earrings. And why did it take me several years to come to this realization? Because my thinking gets stuck at times. Because I thought that jewelry box was done serving its purpose. Now it has a new purpose. That is what moments of clarity provide-new purpose.

Not only did I clean out that jewelry box and find a couple pieces of jewelry I had forgotten about, I also found this little treasure on a well-worn note stashed in the box:

A Gentle Inventory: 
            What did you do today?
                        What did you like about what you did?
                                   What didn't you like that you'd like to do better tomorrow?

Another moment of clarity. Be gentle with self and others. Have a good day!

Comments