Gratitude Is Like Gravy

Today I am grateful for the rain. We have some catching up to do on precipitation here in the Midwest. I am also grateful for acceptance. It can be a beautiful thing when I am able to practice it.

Interesting blog title today. Here's the story. My husband and I were talking about this blog right after I started it. His comment was "Gratitude is like gravy; it goes with everything." I like that. We laughed about it, but it's true. Gratitude is always possible. If cancer taught me anything, it taught me that. Yeah, it's a bummer to lose your hair to chemo, but there are far worse things to lose than hair. Often after a  difficult time or after tragedy strikes, people will be reminded of gratitude. Why does it take difficulty and tragedy? Because we too often take so much for granted and the reminders need to be strong.

Gratitude need not be complicated, just like gravy need not be complicated. Even with a few lumps, it can still be good--both the gravy and the gratitude.

Let me repeat this: there is no right or wrong way to track your gratitude. Start by formalizing your awareness. Don't say you are going to start a gratitude journal just as soon as you go buy a journal. Grab a piece of paper and get started. Just put the paper in the journal when you get one.  No "yeah buts."

And I will close with a line that always makes me think: 
"Have a good day, unless you've made other plans."

Comments