Growing and Going

 "Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid of standing still." 

-Chinese Proverb-

This quote caught my attention today because I often refer to myself as a slow learner and a late bloomer. It was fitting for me to weave that in to my new website's name "A Late Bloomer Living Gratefully." 

When I first started in recovery, people talked about how alcoholics stop growing emotionally when they start drinking.  I believe there is plenty of truth in that. I started drinking at 14 and stopped at 24. Ten years, and a crucial ten years in a young person's development. 

Life set me up to be a slow learner and a late bloomer. I have had to learn hard lessons of acceptance along the way regarding this, but now it is also something I embrace and love about myself.

A different version of this proverb has "going" instead of "growing."  Another good reminder to me. Go slowly. Have patience. Don't push my own agenda-usually ego-driven-let things unfold. And even in the course of my day . . . walk more slowly, savor a sip of coffee, notice Nature, smile and greet others with deeper sincerity. 

And standing still? I wouldn't say it is something to fear unless I have been stuck there for awhile. Standing still and taking a restful pause can be just what I need. Standing in one place and getting complacent is a different deal. I do have a healthy fear of that.

I have grown slowly in creating my new website and I have lots to learn, but I am proud of myself for what I have done so far. Writing has made this all possible. It has helped this late bloomer and slow learner find her way more than anything else has. 

Find more poetry on my InstaPoetry page. Have a good day, slowly. 


Comments