For Love of the Game

Living gratefully today, I am thankful for our safe travels over the weekend and for weather that can be enjoyed, regardless of what it delivers.

I watched a high school football game Friday night and a college football game on Saturday afternoon. For both, there was beautiful fall weather, the kind meant for football games. There were exciting plays and fireworks-some on the field and some off. There was turf and there was natural grass.

Softball was my favorite sport to play, coach, and watch. But football has always been a favorite spectator sport for me as well. I grew up watching Sunday afternoon football, and many Friday nights over recent decades have been spent watching relatives play some football.

My favorite player Friday night was my son Sam. (Obvious, I know.) On Saturday, my favorite was a little guy, probably about 4 years old, wearing an Adrian Peterson Vikings jersey and an NDSU Bison helmet (neither of the teams on the field). He was located near us, with what appeared to be several family members. He was not sitting though.

He played football there in the stands for pretty much the entire game. He ran back and forth dozens of times, pretending to carry the ball and swerving around defenders. He fell to imaginary tacklers and got back up, time and time again. He played for the love of the game. It was a joy to witness his joy.

Staying present today, what joy will I witness? What joy can we each notice?

Comments