14. My husband is a blessing in so many ways.

Living gratefully today, I am relishing an extra day off and the play of the clouds in the early morning sky.

#14: My husband is a blessing in so many ways.

Darcy and I had a solid and healthy marriage at the time of my BC diagnosis, and it only became stronger and healthier as he supported me through chemo, surgeries and recovery, difficult decisions, getting used to a "new normal" and a changed body. There are tender moments, some inside jokes, and heart-to-heart conversations that I will always treasure from that time.

A cancer diagnosis can put a real strain on a marriage, and some couples grow apart for a variety of reasons. I am so grateful that Darcy is the kind of man with the right priorities. He summed it up when he continued to say through his words and actions "I just want you here. The decisions are yours and I support you."

Darcy also has been supportive the last couple of years when my family has faced the challenges of Mom going to the nursing home, Leonice being diagnosed with cancer, Mary Jo getting cancer back and dying. Add to that the fact that I have been experiencing the "joys" of perimenopause. Even without this challenging transition, I can be difficult to live with some days. Love and tolerance. Darcy shows me both.

We understand one another and have mutual respect. We each know that our upbringings impacted us in significant ways, and we bring some of that into our marriage. Some of it helps, some of it hinders.  I deeply respect the father and grandfather he is and the unhealthy family patterns he has worked hard to break.

We are each far from perfect, but we complement one another well, making us a consistent and stable pair for our family. Our marriage isn't perfect either, but we never expected it to be and that sure helps keep us on track. We are here for one another, through thick and thin, in sickness and in health.

You are indeed a blessing Darcy, and I love you.

I think of Mary Jo's husband Clay. He supported her through not one, not two, but three cancer diagnoses. He knows more than anybody else the toll it all took, the pain, the fear, the grief. I am thinking of Clay today, and every day as he moves forward since Mary Jo's death.

Comments