Lonely no Longer

Today I am grateful for what healing can bring. It takes work, and it comes in various forms--physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual--but it makes all the difference. I am also grateful for the presence of loved ones and a loving Great Spirit in my life.

Today's word is lonely. A truly dangerous word for alcoholics and addicts. If we are lonely, we drink, we use, we get sicker. Some of us eventually die, alone. Alcoholism is very selfish. It wants all of the person. The disease wants to isolate you and get you to depend only on alcohol.

Then it turns on you. And the loneliness is like none ever experienced. It is piercing and painful and it begs for a drink to ease the discomfort. It continues to beat and batter, and we continue to drink. The isolation and our own sick thinking close us off from hope even more.

One of the many amazing gifts of recovery, and absolutely necessary for ongoing growth and continued sobriety, is gaining a sense of belonging.

I am not alone That is faith at its most basic. There is something larger at work here, in my life, in this world. It brought people into my life who have made all the difference in the paths I took. People who helped me turn a corner, who continue to walk with me. I choose to call this "something larger" Great Spirit, and I pause daily to feel the presence of this higher power. I am not alone. I don't have to figure it out myself.

Lonely no longer. Connected in intricate ways to the pulse of this wonderful life. Life that was numbed and almost snuffed out my alcoholism.

Lonely no longer. Thank you each for being out there, reading this.

Comments