Praying the Rosary

Today I am grateful for safe travels to and from Iowa and for time with eight of my 12 siblings and our mom.  And the food...always the food.

I am thinking of families suffering tragic losses and deep grief, and sending them strength. A friend's new daughter-in-law dying of cancer at age 27. My brother-in-law's brother, age 60, dying in a motorcycle crash. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and there was nothing he could have done. So very sad. Both died on the same day--Thursday, June 21, 2018.

That day was just another day for many of us. It is a day others will never forget. Life is precious. Life is fragile.

When I arrived to see my family on Friday morning, I stopped at the nursing home to see Mom first. They were just getting started saying the rosary.  It is prayed daily, and those who are interested gather in one of the larger lobby areas. My mom usually goes, and when I spotted her I sat down and joined the group.

It had been a really long time since I had prayed a decade of the rosary, much less the whole thing. It was somewhat comforting to join in, and somewhat humorous--if that is the right word--to see several residents dozing off in their chairs and wheelchairs.

There was a calming aspect to the repetitive Hail Marys, Our Fathers and Glory Bes. I appreciate these rituals and traditions of my Catholic upbringing more now than I used to.

My mom followed along with her rosary, pictured here in her hands:


She knew she had gotten this rosary recently, but couldn't remember from who. Luckily, my sister Ruth could confirm the details. She had given it to Mom a couple months ago. It was made by a priest who was the uncle of one of Ruth's co-workers. The priest has since passed away, but it is nice to see his craftsmanship live on. It was also nice to know the story behind this rosary.

Mom has prayed countless rosaries in her 87 years. I may not pray the rosary often, but I do have prayers I say daily too. I was grateful for my timing Friday morning.

Whatever your favorite prayer, saying, or mantra might be, pause and say it a few times today.

Speaking of pauses, there will be a pause in my blog posts for a few days. See you at the end of the week. Have a good day and week, moment by moment.

Comments

  1. Your post was comforting to me. Love the picture of Mom's hands with rosary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment