First It Gives, Then It Takes

Today I am grateful for a little time with our grandson Leo to start my day. His energy is contagious. I am also grateful for the peace there is in silence.

First it gives, then it takes. What am I writing about? Addiction. Alcohol. Opioids. Food. Gambling. Meth. Nicotine. The list goes on and on, and on. The pain, devastation, and death go on and on, and on.
Image result for images for brains and addiction

First it gives us, the addicts and alcoholics, the high, the escape, the relief we are seeking. That may work for a time, and the shift may be subtle, but then it starts to take. It takes our time, money, relationships, our very hearts and souls. And if recovery and sobriety aren't sought, it is most often fatal or very effective at shortening life and destroying the quality of it.

I get frequent reminders of the pain and devastation of addiction, and frankly I need such reminders. Some days and weeks it comes up more though, and this was one of those weeks. Hearing about another young adult dying of a drug overdose. Talking to a friend concerned about a family member.

It is estimated that 175 people die each day in America from opioid overdoses alone. On average, excessive alcohol use kills over 80,000 annually in this country. That is just a start on tallying the toll.

If you understand the impact of addiction and that it is a disease like cancer is a disease, then I don't need to convince you of anything. If you haven't experienced or witnessed first-hand the cunning, powerful, and deadly nature of addiction, please consider the facts. Addiction has been acknowledged by medical professionals as a disease for over sixty years. Don't blame the victims, don't suggest just quitting, just trying harder.

An addict can't will his/her addiction away anymore than a cancer patient can will their cancer away, or a person with a broken limb can will it to heal fast. (I do believe will, choices, and attitude can impact our healing process, but not drive it entirely.)

I needed help to address my breast cancer diagnosis. I needed and continue to need help to address my alcoholism. I am responsible for the choices I make each day, and I strive for healthy ones, ones that balance my overall well-being.

I can tell you though that I never would have found the way out of my active alcoholism without help from others and a patient and loving Great Spirit.

If you or someone you know is heading down this path, getting those initial "benefits" of what our drug of choice gives, I hope you have interventions from others that help you before that subtle shift occurs and your addiction is taking you down.

If you or someone you care about is already on the road of recovery, stay on it. Walk together. Keep trudging, keep working. It will make all of the difference. It will make it possible for today to be a good day. It may even save your life.

Comments