Nora McInerny-"It's Okay to Laugh (Crying is Cool Too)"

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to share my breast cancer experiences with someone newly diagnosed. I am also grateful for rain that we needed.

Tuesday I wrote about Nora McInerny's podcast "Terrible, Thanks for Asking." In one of the first podcasts I listened to, McInerny called Anne Lamott "her patron saint."  I knew I would like her work after hearing that. I haven't been disappointed.

Anne Lamott is one of my favorite authors and McInerny does in fact have a similar style. Real feelings. Real messy. Real pain and poignancy. Real funny. Her memoir It's Okay to Laugh (Crying is Cool Too) is worth the read. It weaves stories of her upbringing and early adult years with the defining events of a miscarriage, and her father and her husband both dying of cancer, all within a few weeks.



Grief is something that we all face, sooner or later. The more we live life and the longer we live it, losses will occur. They can't be avoided. When it comes to how to handle grieving, there are many suggestions and words of advice, but it still comes down to an individual process taken uniquely by each person going through it.

There is no set timeline. No final wrap-up and move on. There is the facing of painful emotions and the sharing of joyful memories. Nora McInerny writes very well about all of it, and quickly pulled me in as a reader.

I feel deeply, so I appreciate books, podcasts, conversations, and other experiences that bring a range of emotions. It all makes me feel alive and helps me further explore my life and myself. Thank you Nora McInerny! Your book aided in my exploration.

Comments