Looking for a Podcast? Try "Terrible, Thanks for Asking"

Today I am grateful for the ease of finding online images to use in lessons/presentations I am preparing for next school year. I am also grateful for the connections I have with others in recovery and how we laugh and commiserate.

Add podcasts to my gratitude list too. Podcasts were pretty new to me a few months ago when my friend Kelly suggested  "Terrible, Thanks for Asking."  Podcasts are simply audio files that can be downloaded off of the internet and listened to at your convenience on any number of devices. They often are a series with episodes and seasons just like television shows.

So I gave a listen to a couple of episodes of "Terrible, Thanks for Asking" and I really appreciated them. I have now listened to many of the episodes from season 1 and some of the mini-episodes as well. I look forward to season 2. This podcast is a creation of writer Nora McInerny, who hails from the Twin Cities area.

McInerny had a miscarriage, and watched both her husband and her father die of cancer, all within a matter of weeks back in 2014. The premise of her podcast is to talk about the tough stuff, to not say the obligatory "fine" when someone asks us how we are doing. (Unless, of course, we are fine.)

From the website, here are the words describing TTFA:

You know how every day someone asks “how are you?” And even if you’re totally dying inside, you just say “fine,” so everyone can go about their day? This show is the opposite of that. Hosted by author (It's Okay to Laugh (Crying Is Cool Too)) and notable widow (her words) Nora McInerny, this is a funny/sad/uncomfortable podcast about talking honestly about our pain, our awkwardness, and our humanness, which is not an actual word.

Her approach is compassionate, genuine, and runs the range of emotions. She has a comfortable style imbued with wonderful humor. In other words, my kind of material. Pain, loss, and grief are part of our human existence. Let's talk about them and shine light on them so we can keep living and have some hope and healing. That's this podcast in a nutshell. 

I encourage you to give a listen to TTFA. More tomorrow on Nora McInerny's book. Thanks for the suggestion Kelly!

Comments