Try Easier

Today I am grateful for easily available clean water to drink.(Talk about something I take for granted.) I am also grateful for these fingers that work as I type this post.

We tend to hear people talking more about try harder than try easier. Sometimes try harder is okay. Like when I am running up a hill, or covering the last miles of a marathon, or pursuing getting my writing published, or keeping my mouth shut when to open it would mean harsh words coming out.

But trying harder can also backfire. I may end up pushing my own agenda without even realizing I am ignoring the input of others. Instead of letting things unfold as they are meant to, trying too hard can cause things to unravel and fray.

Trying too hard creates physical and mental tension which then also impacts my emotional and spiritual well-being. The physical tension alone builds stress and then manifests itself in ways that are less than pleasant.

Try easier. Go with the flow. Accept. Keep it simple. Do the next right thing. Just the sound of "try easier" is soothing. It seems counterintuitive, but trying harder actually decreases momentum, slows us down. On the other hand, trying easier generates energy and builds momentum.

Consider when trying harder is the approach to use and when trying easier would be the better avenue. Such consideration requires attention. Attention starts with mindfulness. Pausing in gratitude puts me in a more mindful state. Gratitude comes full circle.

Comments