Sun Dogs and Other Phenomena

Today I am grateful for eyes that can see and ears that can hear, even if less clearly than they used to.

I saw this the other morning as the sun came up. It's a sun dog. The second picture is the sun dog and the sunrise together. 


We sometimes see sun dogs here, especially in times of extreme cold. I had to do a little research on the science behind it, like I do each time I see one or two. 

Here is what Encyclopedia Brittanica tells me: 

sun dog, also called mock sun or parhelion, atmospheric optical phenomenon appearing in the sky as luminous spots 22° on each side of the Sun and at the same elevation as the Sun. Usually, the edges closest to the Sun will appear reddish. Other colours are occasionally visible, but more often the outer portions of each spot appear whitish.

Sun dogs occur when the Sun or Moon shines through a thin cirrus cloud composed of hexagonal ice crystals falling with their principal axes vertical, as opposed to the halo phenomenon that occurs when the principal axes are randomly arranged in a plane perpendicular to the Sun’s or Moon’s rays. The red end of the spectrum, being bent the least, appears on the inside, with the blue, when visible, appearing on the outside. Sun dogs most commonly appear during the winter in the middle latitudes. 

I am sure someone could explain why this occurs 22 degrees on either side of the sun, but I don't really need to understand that to appreciate this phenomenon.  There are many weather and atmospheric phenomena: lightning, volcanoes, ocean tides, earthquakes, tornadoes. They can inspire awe and create devastation at the same time. 

I don't know about you, but I consider electricity, the internet, and cell phones to be phenomenons as well. They also are capable of inspiration and devastation. Something to consider as I make my choices in how, what, and who I connect with next. 

As I wrote this, I also began to consider the little phenomenons that occur daily. Is there such a thing as little phenomena?  I think so. Getting out of bed each day and heading out into this tumultuous pandemic world in the ways we do strikes me as a phenomenal act of perseverance and courage. Onward! 

Comments