Yellow, Red, Green

Living gratefully today, I give thanks for ears that hear and feet that take me places I want to go.

On my commute yesterday morning, I was running a little late. I hit several yellow lights at the stoplights I encounter on my usual route on my way to work. Instead of racing through the yellows, I slowed and took a moment to relax during the red light. 

I had thoughts like these: I really am not running that late and it’s really not that important that I get to work two minutes earlier. My vehicle slowing and my mind slowing complemented one another. Regular meditation practice has been bringing me a healthier mind, a right-sized ego. 

Yellow is for caution. Slow down. Red is for stop, take a breath. Green is for proceeding at a more sane pace. 

After work yesterday, I came home and went for a bike ride before it got dark, which of course is earlier now with the time change. The weather was still fairly mild and I like to take advantage of such opportunities when I can.  

I am usually cautious on my bike. I wear a helmet and watch for trouble spots and traffic. But sometimes I also get a little playful --swerving from side to side on empty stretches of trail. It was more like angling gently from side to side, but it is fun and brings a smile. I also rode hands-free on straight/smooth stretches too. I appreciate that I can still do this and the balance that it requires. I gave myself the green light for a little risk-taking on my bike. The kind that keeps me young at heart.

Yellow. Red. Green. Whatever order I take these in today, I will need all three. I will remember all three. 

Comments