Door Closings

Today I am grateful for taking a simple task mindful moment by mindful moment this morning. I am also grateful for the years of shopping and many good finds I made at our local consignment store.

I learned less than two weeks ago that the store I just mentioned was closing, and that yesterday, 1/31, would be the last day for the store. So I made a point to get there. I wrote a little thank you note to the owner and brought her some chocolates.

We were on a first-name basis after all these years, well over 15, of me shopping there. We don’t really know each other well, but I know her well enough to know that I appreciated her business and her friendly and helpful way whenever we crossed paths.

Clearly I am not the only one who appreciated the store. As we spoke, another long-time customer came in for one last look around. And as I left, two more women came in, one with a bouquet of flowers in her hand. Cheryl and her store made a difference.

Times have changed. Doors close. People move on to other endeavors and other places to shop. Willingly or not so willingly.

Sometimes the doors slam shut. Sometimes they close slowly and quietly. Sometimes we want them to close, and other times we wish we could keep them open forever.

Then the cliche "when one door closes, another opens" comes to mind. It came up in our conversation at the store yesterday. Cliche perhaps, but most often true. Even at death, depending on what you believe happens to us when our physical existence ceases existing.

Door closings can be difficult and leave us discouraged, but if we turn and move on with our day, we'll probably find our way, and perhaps another open door to explore.

Comments